|Director of the Littman Architecture Library
New Jersey Institute of Technology
4th Floor, Weston Hall
Newark, NJ 07102-1982
Office phone: 973-642-4390
Education and Experience
- MLS in Library and Information Science, Rutgers University, NJ
- Pd.D. in Art and Architectural History, Institute of Art History, Moscow, Russia
- MA in Art History, Academy of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, Russia
I am the Director of the Architecture Library and report to the University Librarian. I have been in this position since 2002. Prior to my appointment at NJIT I worked as a curator at the Hermitage Museum (St. Petersburg, Russia), as the Western Art Bibliographer at Princeton University, and as Art Librarian at Rutgers University. I also lectured on the history of Russian and Western art and architecture as well as on librarianship, both in the US and in Russia.
Throughout my professional career, I have focused my studies on the history of visual arts and architecture, architectural preservation, and various aspects of librarianship, especially on the application of computers in libraries. I conduct my research in both architectural history and librarianship and am involved in the work of professional organizations in both fields.
Selected professional activities:
- Work on creating the Digital Archive of Newark Architecture, a project to document Newark architecture and the built environment.
- Participated in a national initiative on developing Information Literacy Standards in the Architecture and Design
- Acted as a curator of the "Leo von Klenze" exhibit at the Hermitage Museum (1985)
- Participated in the excavation of the ancient Greek city Nymphaion and in conservation of the Hermitage Museum buildings.
- Leo von Klenze and the New Hermitage. St. Petersburg: Hermitage & ARS, 2003.
- Works of Leo von Klenze in the Hermitage: exhibition catalogue. Leningrad: Hermitage, 1984
- "Citation Analysis and Tenure Metrics in Architecture and Design-Related Disciplines" ACSA, May 2015.
- "Evolving Libraries: People and Technology Collaborating to Build University Design Communities" in Art Documentation, Fall 2012 issue (co-authored)
- "Digital Archive of Newark Architecture" in Art Documentation, Spring 2011 issue (co-authored)
- "Historicism, Nationalism, and Russian Art Museums in the Nineteenth and Early Twentieth Centuries" in Visual Resources, special issue Honoring Helene E. Roberts, 2011.
- Information Literacy for Students in Design Disciplines 2007 (co-author)
- “Hermitage in a Context of the 19th century Museums” in 250 years of the Hermitage: Conference materials, Hermitage, St. Petersburg, 2004
- “Art and Archaeology of the African Diaspora: new Challenges in Art History Instruction,” Art Documentation, Fall, 2000, p.46-48 (co-author)
- “Russian Art and Architecture: Fundamental Sources,” Art Documentation, Fall,1999
- “Leo von Klenze and the New Hermitage,” Visual Resources, v.14/2, 1998